Fresh, Effortless-Looking Beauty
Makeup maven Maddie North revealed makeup trends for spring 2019 that will carry over well into the summer. To her, spring is all about fresh, clean looks, showing off the skin, and keeping the colors warm and rich.
This season, Maddie sees a huge focus on skin with minimal foundation and contour - just coverage where needed. She aims to keep skin soft and dewy, with lots of highlight and a youthful flush to the cheeks with a bit of blush. According to this makeup pro, well-moisturized skin is the best way to achieve the dewy look.
For lips, bright reds, salmon, and coral colors prevail. They are kept soft with balm on top or by simply staining the center of the lip for a beautiful romantic look.
“When going for more of a stained, soft look, I find applying with my finger is the easiest way, adding a little more color in the center of the lips, and dabbing on a little balm on top,” says Maddie.
She adds, “Brows are a must for any season, and I definitely see a lash focus too. Lots of fun bright colors on the eyes like lime greens and royal blues. A great simple way to get that pop of color on the eye is using a colored pencil along the lash line or in the water line, so easy!”
Maddie points out that makeup is always about balance, so if you plan on doing a bold eye, it’s advised to keep the lips soft with a neutral color or just balm.
And, when it comes to her faves du jour, Maddie lists:
- My favorite foundation is Armani Luminous Silk Foundation, just using a tiny bit where it’s needed to even out skin tone!
- I also love the Glossier blushes, they're so easy to apply, and a little goes a long way. I recommend Haze or Puff!
- I love the new NCLA Lipsticks - two perfect spring/summer colors would be Malibu Moments and Hollywood Heartbreaker.
- For just a simple balm Glossier is my go-to - the Rose or Cherry Dotcom balms are the best and smell amazing!!
- My favorite mascara to use at the moment is Hourglass Caution Extreme Lash Mascara - I love the brush size so you can get all the little lashes, and doesn't clump or get flakey.
For the Fresh Look Above
“Oribe Lip Lust Crème Lipstick in Imperial rose is such a beautiful creamy soft pink- just dab it on with your finger for a subtle hint of color or apply it straight on the lip for a more statement look," exclaimed Maddie.
Originally from New Zealand, Maddie North moved to Los Angeles after years as a MAC artist. She is now a freelance editorial and celebrity makeup artist represented by Wilhelmina. Her celebrity clients include Lorde, Nick Jonas, Olivia Culpo, Noah Cyrus, Lykke Li, Eve, Of Monster AndMen, The Naked and Famous, Hozier, and many more. She regularly works on the sets of music videos, fashion editorials, and campaigns, but loves natural beauty.