None of us like the idea of shaving, yet it remains a necessity in order to keep legs and underarms touchably smooth. Your shaving technique is vital for long-lasting silkiness, so here are some tips to go stubble-free, longer:
• Exfoliate the day before you shave. A good salt scrub will remove dead skin cells and free any trapped little hairs. Begin at the ankles and work upwards, lightly rubbing skin in a circular motion.
• Bathe or shower before shaving to remove any natural oils and perspiration and to hydrate any hairs. This step will make hairs easier to cut. Soak for just a few minutes but remember that after 10-15 minutes, water can cause your skin to wrinkle and swell slightly. This will result in a shave that's not very close.
• Apply a moisturizing shave gel to help hair and skin hydrated and to ensure that the razor glides over your skin easily. Avoid using soap as it may cause dryness or clog your razor’s blades during shaving. Using a good shaving gel will provide a closer shave.
• Use a fresh blade as they provide a closer, smoother, more comfortable shave and can help prevent cuts and irritation. Replace blades at the first sign of dullness or discomfort.
• Use a light touch, exerting as little pressure as possible, and shave in the direction that feels most comfortable. Re-lather before shaving the bikini and other sensitive areas.
• Leave hard-to-shave spots for last. The backs of knees and thighs, and areas like ankles, where the bone is close to the skin surface, are often difficult to shave. Take your time and avoid using much pressure.
• Rinse your skin thoroughly after shaving, and then pat skin dry. Don't rub harshly with the towel or dry off completely. The extra water on your body will be sealed in as you apply moisturizer, helping to eliminate dry, flaky skin.
• Coat your legs with a natural body oil (don't use synthetic perfumes or fragrances). Try simple coconut or macadamia oils, which you can buy from a health food shop or pharmacy; these will deeply nourish your skin. To keep your skin soft and hydrated, apply every evening before bed.