Hair Inspiration for the Holidays
During the holiday season, consider a boho-inspired, festive look that can go from day to night. It’s not up, it’s not down, it’s both!! Anna Peters, Sam Villa ArTeam Member, gives easy steps for a Bohemian festal creation that’s the perfect amount of everything merry.
Half Up Braided Crown
1. Prep and protect hair from heat with Redken Iron Shape 11, mist product evenly throughout hair, comb through. Using the Sam Villa Artist Series 2-in-1 Marcel Curling Iron and Wand 1” in the wand form, take 1” sections and wrap around the barrel leaving out a few ends. Once hot, remove iron and pin curl in place to cool. Continue all over the head.
2. Take a circle section encompassing the crown of the head and leave out a 2” section around front hairline. Gather section and secure at center back with elastic, pinching and pulling through the crown to create texture and volume.
3. With the Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron, create massive volume and texture at the base of the hairline and around crown by simply compressing iron at the first inch or two of the root area.
4. Puff Redken Powder Grip 03 on to roots and down a section of the hairline and around the crown.
5. Create a deep side part in front hairline and then a large and loose, attached, 3-strand braid following the hairline down and around the crown to center back. Pin to secure. At center back, pick up another larger section of hair from under elastic and create another large and loose, attached, 3-strand braid following crown and back up to opposite side of front hairline. Finish braid all the way to the ends and secure with a pin. Then place below the first braid, tucking ends under.
6. Gently pull the braid apart to create fullness and pull out some strands to frame the face.
Braided High Crown
“This look is for the gal that has a tremendous amount of hair. Locks are woven into a fishtail crown to create a quick up style that has tons of volume in all the right places, with a delicate natural detail that makes it wearable for any event,” explains Anna Peters, Sam Villa ArTeam.
1. Apply Redken Guts 10 through the first inch of roots for control and volume, and then apply Redken Satin Wear 04 throughout mids and ends for heat protection and an easy blow dry.
2. Using the Sam Villa Artist Series Professional Blow Dryer for faster drying and extra shine (with the ions option on) and a Sam Villa Artist Series Polishing Paddle Brush, directionally blow dry hair from the back to the front hairline.
3. With the Sam Villa Signature Series Textur Professional Texturizing Iron, inject texture, volume, and grip into the hair by sliding the iron down random sections and compressing versus going section by section. This will create a more natural finish and save on time.
4. Flipping head upside down and starting at one corner of the nape, create an attached fishtail braid incorporating all the hair from the sides and moving diagonally up the back of the head to the opposite side hairline. Once at the hairline, continue the fishtail braid all the way to the ends and secure with an elastic.
5. Gently pull braid to create fullness, one side at a time, starting at the elastic and working up towards the hairline. Then, pull braid back onto itself and place along the hairline. Tuck ends into hair and secure braid with grips.
CREDITS: Hair: Sam Villa ArTeam • Photo: Katie Parker • Wardrobe: Brittany Hart • Makeup: Nicole Schimel • Model: Nausheen Ahmed